Lajos Aranyi (1812-1887) was a student of Carl Rokitansky in Vienna. He returned to his home town of Budapest in 1844 and founded the Institute of Pathology at the University of Budapest. This was the fifth formally constituted University Institute of Pathology in the world. He received no salary for 2 years and earned money by embalming famous people. However, he immediately set about preparing pathology specimens for display in a teaching museum in the tradition of Rokitansky. In spite of the upheavals that have occurred in Budapest since 1844, about 700 of these specimens are still available for teaching students in the first Institute of Pathology of the University. No microscopic examinations were done on these specimens, but there is a handwritten catalogue of the specimens preserved in the department.
Lajos Aranyi (1812-1887) founded the first Institute of Pathology in 1844.
Odon Krompecher (1870-1926) who described the microscopic features of BCC in 1903.
A courtyard inside the main Semmelweis University building. There is a statue of Semmelweis in the square. the Institute of Pathology building is partly in the right of the picture.
The statue of Ignaz Semmelweis. The Institute of Pathology building is the cream building on the right of the picture.
Budapest Castle and reflections in the Danube
A view of the Danube as it winds through Budapest.
Another Hungarian from Budapest who made an enduring reputation following his studies with Rokitansky in Vienna was Ignaz Semmelweis. Puerperal fever was causing a high mortality among women at the time of childbirth. He demonstrated that it was transmitted by the unwashed hands of the doctors and medical students who went from the post mortem room straight to the labour wards. He, too, returned to Budapest to work. The University of Budapest is now called the Semmelweis University after him. Hungary has adopted another tradition from the Vienna medical school, and that is the establishment of two departments in most of the medical disciplines. In pathology there is a first and a second Department of Pathology.
Plastinated specimen of a haemopericardium from rupture of an acute myocardial infarction.
Gross specimens in glass display jars in one of a number of small rooms adjoining the mortuary. These 19th century specimens are still used for regular teaching. No histology was done in those days.
Close up of a case of bacterial (infective) endocarditis.
Brown marble dissecting tables in the mortuary of the First Department of Pathology. They do 800 post mortems each year.
Staff of the Second Department of Pathology in the Library. First row from left: Dr. Andrea Farkas, Dr. Tibor Glasz, Dr. Janina Kulka, dr. Gábor Lotz, Dr. Eszter Székács, Dr. Attila Fintha.
Second row from left: a PhD student, Dr. Gabriella Arató, Dr. Attila Zalatnai, Dr. Béla Szende, Dr. Anna Kádár, Dr. György Illyés, Dr. Judit Halász, Dr. Adrienn Ildikó Tóth, Dr. Julia Németh, Dr. Margit Kovács.
Third row left: 2 PhD students
Third row right: Dr. Zsuzsa Gábor and behind her two PhD students.
Margaret Island in the Danube, Budapest
Another tradition from the Vienna medical school that has endured in Hungary and in many other countries in Europe is the high rate of post mortem examinations. As a result of this, medical students attend many post mortems, and learn most of their gross pathology in this way. The old mounted specimens are used to complement the gross pathology taught at the post mortems. Tibor Glasz at the second Institute of Pathology has begun to plastinate some specimens to help with the teaching of gross pathology.
The medical course lasts for 6 years. Between the two departments there are about 600 students in each year. A large proportion of these students are from other countries. The foreign students pay for their tuition, and this money is an important source of revenue for the University. The teaching staff has a heavy lecturing load on top of their routine service work. Lectures are given in Hungarian, German and English.
Delegates at the meeting in Visegrad.
Robin Cooke and Attila Zalatnai (Secretary of the Hungarian Division)
Zsuzsa Schaff (seated), President of the Hungarian Division chairing a session at the Visegrad meeting in May, 2008.
News from the Hungarian Division of the IAP
In 2005 the Hungarian Division of the IAP decided to start a series of meetings under the title Central European Regional Meetings on ‘Technology Transfer in Diagnostic Pathology.’
The first meeting on Liver & Pancreas Pathology took place from June 1-3, 2006 in the thermal spring resort town of Eger, 100km north east of Budapest. There were 115 attendees from 15 different countries.
The second meeting on Haematopathology - Lymphomas was held in Pécs in the south of Hungary from 21 to 24 June, 2007 with 110 participants from 16 different countries.
The third meeting on Breast Pathology took place in Visegrád, from 12 to 14 May, 2008. There were 168 participants from 25 countries.
Visegrad is one of the oldest and smallest towns in Hungary. Situated 30 kms north of Budapest it was the site of a Roman fortress, and in the 14th and 15th centuries it had a Royal castle.
The fourth meeting on Soft Tissue and Bone Pathology will be held again in the city of Eger, April 19-21, 2009.
The Education Committee of the IAP granted 3,000 USD towards the cost of the 2006 meeting, and 3,600 USD for the costs of the invited speakers for the 2007 and 2008 meetings.
Andras Kiss, IAP councillor of the Hungarian Division presenting a poster at the IAP International Congress in Athens, 2008.
Andrea Farkas in the small, old town of Szentendre (north of Budapest) in front of a shop selling traditional dresses.
Szentendre plague monument.
General News from the Division
Jellinek Memorial Medal
The Jellinek Medal (inaugurated in 2006 to honour the memory of Prof. Harry Jellinek, founder and first president of the Hungarian Division) was awarded to Lilla Lukács, for her achievements in the Scientific Student’s Circle of the Semmelweis University. She also won the 1st prize of the Krompecher Award. (Krompecher was the Hungarian pathologist who in 1903 described the microscopic appearances of Basal cell carcinoma of the skin.)
As of 1 July 2008 Dr. József TÍMÁR was appointed Professor in the 2nd Department of Pathology, Semmelweis University, Budapest.
Office Bearers of the Hungarian Division of the IAP
Dr. Zsuzsa SCHAFF
Professor of Pathology
2nd Dept. of Pathology
Semmelweis University, Budapest
Immediate Past President
Dr. Anna KÁDÁR
Dr. Attila ZALATNAI
Dr. Gabriella ARATÓ
Number of Members
104 (seniors 94; juniors 10)
(Information for this article was kindly provided by Anna Kadar, Bela Szende, Attila Zalatnai, Zuszsa Schaff, Gyorgy Illyes, Tibor Glasz, Janina Kulka, Andrea Farkas.)
to Contents List